Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Gina's Designs DT Project: Cat Mask

Thanks for stopping by the blog today! For the month of February, all the designers on Gina's team needed to create a mask using one of the four great designs from her Masks Shapes Set. Mine morphed into a steampunk kitty! I know! I don't do steampunk! This was my first attempt at it.
The mask I decided to use is the one in the top right corner.
As always, I start with a coat of gesso. Next, I cut different size squares of the 3M foil tape. I then place the squares over the surface of the mask. Using a stylus, I simply made an impression in the foil to give a rivet look. I then took one of the steampunk hearts, bent it a bit, covered with the foil tape and attached to the mask.
I covered the mask with black acrylic paint, let it dry for a bit then gently wiped off. I did this several times until I was happy with the results. The clock hands were gessoed and the sprayed with Lindy's. When they were dried,  I brushed a thin layer of red metallic paint over them.
The gear boarder and corners were gessoed, sprayed with Lindy's, then embossed with silver and black soot. I then took an emery board over the top of some of the gears to give it more of a distressed look. I then sprayed them again with Lindy's. The swirl patter is simply colored by a bic marker in black.

After attaching all the gears and boarders to the mask, I finished it off with metal gears, a clock face, feathers and flat back pearls.

Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I have a list of all the products below. For Gina's products, just click on the name below and it will take you directly to that product in her store.

Have a great week!

Gina's Designs
Masks Shape Set
Steampunk Hearts
Clock Hands Shape Set
Gears Borders & Corners Shape Set
Gears Shape Set

Other Products
Gesso
Paint: Black and Red Metallic
Lindy's Stamp Gang:: Whale Watch Blue & Black Orchid Silver
Metal Gears: Tim Holtz & ButterBeeScraps
Metal Clock: Tim Holtz
Flat Back Pearls: Joann Fabrics
Black Bic Marker
3M Foil Tape
Feathers - Stash (they were my dad's, he made his own fishing lures)
Embossing Power: Silver - Stampin' up! Black Soot Distressed- Tim Holtz


No comments:

Post a Comment